Thursday, March 6, 2008

Laughter really can be the best medicine

ANOTHER UPDATE ON DROSTAN.

Today it has been 1 week and 5 days since the accident and it was time to take the stitches out. I was able to drop the kids off at a friend's house and as we drove to the orthopedic doc's office, I asked Drostan if he was nervous about getting the stitches out. He said no...but that was until he met the Medical Assistant! :-) He had a bit of an accent and we asked him where he was from. "I'm French" is what he said and we asked, "from France or Canada?" He laughed and said, "no, I'm a real Frenchman, not from Canada."


Drostan asked what brought him to the States, he said, "my X-wife." We all laughed and bit and then he asked him what has kept him here. His reply was, "my new girlfriend." :-D So all this time he is taking Drostan's foot out of the boot and unwrapping the bandages. He gets them all off and looks at the wound and says, "Wow, how the he** did you do that?!" Then he looks closer at the stitches he is about to remove and says, "Oh my gosh, you are going to scream." Drostan and I just started laughing. He said they were nice looking stitches but very tight and big! So he goes out of the room to get some stuff and we are just busting up at this guy. I asked D if he was nervous now and he said yes!

So the guy comes back in and is getting ready so I go over to hold Drostan's hand and watch and the MA turns to him and asks, "Have you ever had stitches out before?" He says he has and the guy said, "Bad ones?" lol This guy is just hilarious. What a way to put your patient at ease! So he starts snipping and my brave man doesn't even flinch through all 13 stitches. He said he felt a little poking but it really wasn't that bad.

So after another x-ray that looked great and showing half of the office this blog with the original injury picture, they gave Drostan the go ahead to go back to work if he is feeling up to it and told him to continue to rest/ice/ibuprofen the ankle and we go back in 3 weeks.

Since we were already out, Drostan decided he needed to really make it worth all of the effort so we headed over to Cabelas for some stretchy socks he could wear under the boot (because any other brand just wouldn't do). It was nice for him to get out a bit but it sure tired him out and now he is resting comfortably and playing the Wii our friends lent to us. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that progress is going so well. Sounds like you had some fun at the doctor. Nothing better than a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL what a funny experience!

    ;) I'm sure that's what he really needed, stretchy socks, not "stretchy pants" (Nacho Libra)! ;) That's ok we understand "when you are alone in your room sometimes you just want to wear stretchy pan...I mean socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's all I can see. I braved the picture and I am dying here! How in the world does something that bad happen playing basketball? I'm so glad he's doing better--what a trial for the whole family!

    Love your blog. I found your link on Laurie's. Mine's private, but I'd love to send you an invite if you want. Send me an email at espyk@yahoo.com. So good to see you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete