

Drostan and Trevor were going scouting for their big goat/elk hunt coming up next week so after breakfast, they kissed us goodbye and couldn't have run out of there faster with bigger grins on their faces if they wanted to.
We had about 4 hours to kill so we decided to strap the babies on our backs and head out for some hiking. Jocelyn thought the hill/mountain right next to us looked like a fun conquest so we started up and had a tough time keeping up with the 5 and 7 year olds. They did amazingly well.

Megan did so well until we got to about 2/3 up the hill and then she was D.O.N.E! It ended up being a much steeper climb than we had thought and it was actually quite scary in several places but that fact that we had 7 kids to try to safely get off of this mountain, we put on our best happy Mom faces and tried to keep everyone's spirit's up. Poor Megan was so scared and so tired. She really did a great job for being only 3. It was a tough hike! I think if I didn't have Jaron on my back, I could have helped her more but I was trying to keep my balance and not fall off a cliff myself!

We found a little place that sort of leveled off by a tree and had a little snack before attempting to descend the mountain.

Luckily, we found a slightly different path that ended up being a bit better and while it took quite a while, it was not as tough as the ascent had been. We made it all in one piece with just a few scratches and lots of "pricklies" to show for it.

For the last hour we tried to keep the babies from eating dirt and the older kids from freaking out over the ENORMOUS flies. They did NOT believe they were not bees but we did survive.

The guys made it back just in time to see us finish packing everything up and we made the 4 hour drive back home.
Lesson's learned:
1. Don't leave at 7:30pm for a camping trip!
2. Never set up your tent on the road unless you really like dust on your toast... and clothes... and hair... and tent... and chairs... and .... you get the picture.
3. If you are going to attempt to climb the face of a mountain, make sure you have better shoes and more adults per child!


This next one does NOT do justice to how dirty Jaron got. He sure had fun though.

We still came out smiling though. Dallin found this log/branch and was so excited that he had found a "gun." He is totally his daddy's son!

It looks like you had a great time. The kids are so adorable with their little faces all dirty. I LOVE the last picture with the wooden gun, I was amazed how much that really looks like a real gun!
ReplyDeleteYou definitely made some memories! I'm still laughing about the dust...in your toast. :)
ReplyDeletewow what an adventure!! You'll be remembering this one for a while, and have a ton of 'what-not-to-do' info for next camping trip.
ReplyDeleteLooks like quite the adventure. Christopher and I are HUGE campers so if you need some pointers or want to go sometime, give us a call!
ReplyDeleteThat last picture of Dallin is a hoot!! I love camping, it sounds like you had fun.
ReplyDeleteYou are a true trooper. I couldn't have been so positive about the whole thing. I am glad no one fell off any cliffs and that you survived. You could have been a pioneer!
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun. Thanks for calling me. Need to play more. Your kids are so cute. Here's my blog link:
ReplyDeletewww.thelishlife.blogspot.com
Looks like you had a blast Jen. I can't believe how big your kids are getting. :( We totaly need to plan a family camping trip next year with just our two families maybe somewhere between Boise and SLC and then maybe one with the whole family. Love ya sis.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I blogged about Quetico and put some awesome pictures up if you want to check it out sometime.
I think the dirtier they get, the more fun they have. Camping is always such a blast, especially with good friends. Megan is such a fun girl, she is going to be a great preschool kid I can tell! I can't wait to see the "Wheel" premiere soon, I'm counting down to see you on TV!!!
ReplyDelete