It has been a well known fact in our family that Drostan and I have different cooking styles. I am a great recipe follower! I love to recreate things I've seen on tv or had at friends' homes... with the aid of a recipe. Drostan is amazing. I can tell him we have nothing in the house for dinner and he will go to the fridge and/pantry and whip up an amazing meal... all from his imagination. Well today, I went to Costco and got one of their yummy roasted whole chickens for lunch. (The kids love it!) After, I was about to throw the carcass away when I thought, "why don't I boil this for a while and make a stock and attempt a soup for dinner tonight. Drostan always tells me I should do that." Yeah, ambitious! So, that's what I did. I called my mom for a little direction but ended up throwing in 2 different kinds of wild rice I had, an onion, come carrots, celery, and the leftover chicken from lunch. I added some salt, garlic salt, and lemon pepper and called it good. NO RECIPE! Just threw it all in.
Fast forward to dinner time and as I placed his bowl in front of him he said, "this smells yummy. Did you use a recipe?" I told him no, that I even made the stock by boiling a chicken carcass. He was very proud of me for attempting it. Then he tried it and said,
"Wow, Jenn, you spread your wings and not only did you fly, you soared!"
He loved it! The kids ate it pretty well too. I know that most of you think it is the simplest thing in the world to do to make soup but I have never attempted it before so I was THRILLED that it turned out so well and that my sweet husband was so proud of me.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I love it when I try something new and it turns out. When our husbands like it (and in this case love it) it makes us more willing to try something new.
ReplyDeleteNow the bad part is when they hate it. That's not so much fun!
Glad you got the approval instead of the opposite!